Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Librarians and the March for the Alternative

This coming Saturday (26th March), I will be going to London to take part in the March for the Alternative.

There are hundreds of reasons to march: because you don't approve of the economic policies of the Coalition Government; because you value Britain's public services and don't want to see them destroyed; because you believe in affordable university education, the arts, public libraries, the NHS, council services, public toilets, or the other things that make this country work. Polly Toynbee gives the reasons more eloquently in her Guardian column here.

I am marching because I believe we need to draw the line here. As citizens, it is our duty to inform the Government when they are doing things that we do not want them to do. The Government is passing through policies which were not in either party's manifesto. The Government has received no public mandate to enact these cuts and destroy institutions that the public values. The poor are suffering - or will soon be suffering - disproportionately and I believe that promises of 'fairness' should be kept. The Government works for us and we need to make sure that this fact is never, ever forgot.

I intend to meet some friends down there and I know that lots of librarians – based in London and travelling in from around the UK – will be there. If anyone is interested in meeting and marching together, I will be meeting people below Cleopatra’s Needle on Victoria Embankment from about 1030. The march begins at 1100 and the staging point is only a short walk away. Hopefully it won't be too crowded there but watch out for my tweets on the day just in case. It is my hope that I will be able to meet some of the great people I've previously only talked to online and that together we can stand as a Coalition of Librarians.

See you there

No comments: