Thursday, 1 April 2010

"Two tall tales."


I’ve currently got two short stories published and floating around in the literary domain.
The first is entitled Last Orders and is available in First Edition Magazine. It will soon be in print and in the shops but until then it is available here in electronic form – for a limited time, it’s only £1. I’ve blogged about the origins of this one before.
The second is entitled Eduard Aster and the Möbius Play and is available in blankpages issue 21. This story stemmed from a single sentence idea that came into my head: 'writer finds review of piece he/she hasn’t written yet'. The idea of making him a playwright came from watching Charlie Kaufman’s film Synecdoche, New York. The added complexity of the story and the layers of other characters came while I was writing it. The style is intentionally metafictional inspired in part by the academic-criticism-style of House of Leaves. Reading it back, the story seems overly pretentious: too many references to Greek theology and esoteric literature; the whole butterfly metaphor seems confused and underdeveloped; I can't fathom why I didn't think 'Edward' was a suitable name. Worse still, it’s very similar in content to Borges’ story An Examination of the Work of Herbert Quain. I do like the style of it but my favourite thing about it is the way blankpages have presented it.
Hope you enjoy them. I’m very glad to have them in print.

No comments: